Nominate a community project
In Cumbria and Lancashire, hundreds of hours of Community Payback work is completed each month by offenders on a community sentence. This free labour is provided to local communities as offenders pay back for the crimes they have committed.
Community Payback can include a range of projects such litter removal, clearing dense undergrowth, environmental work, repairing and redecorating community centres and removing graffiti. Offenders usually work as part of a team, monitored by a supervisor, although there are some opportunities for individual placements.
To be considered your project must meet the following criteria:
- it must benefit the local community
- it must not take paid work away from others
- no-one must make a profit from the work
- it must be challenging and demanding
- it must be worthwhile and constructive
- offenders must be seen to be putting something back into the community.